[Cython] Any news from the IronPython port?

Jason McCampbell jmccampbell at enthought.com
Mon Jul 18 16:45:04 CEST 2011

Hi Stefan,

Definitely not buried for good, though we haven't made a lot of changes
recently. :)  We used it for porting SciPy to .NET and re-wrote a large
number of the SciPy C module implementations in Cython.  It is generally
stable and produces good code within the set of features that were needed
(by no means has feature parity with the CPython version).

In general, I have been quite happy with the results given that it is
possible to generate interfaces for two Python implementations from a single
source.  Of course, it is not free.  One can, in general, not take a
NumPy-heavy Cython file and just generate source code for IronPython.
 Because IronPython and NumPy for .NET do not share any common C APIs we had
to wrap some of the APIs and in other cases switch to using Python notation
and/or call the new Python-independent NumPy core API (present only in the
refactored version).

Overall, I think it's a good start and holds some promise for generating
re-targetable native wrappings, but there is still plenty of work to do to
make it more accessible.

Regards,
Jason

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> subject says it all. The port to IronPython appears to run completely in
> stealth mode, so I wonder if it has become any usable yet, or if the project
> was already swept under the carpet and buried for good.
>
> Stefan

*Jason McCampbell*
Enthought, Inc.
512.536.1057 (Office)