[Cython] [cython-users] Cython .pxd introspection: listing defined constants

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Feb 19 10:24:05 CET 2011

Robert Bradshaw, 18.02.2011 23:08:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM, W. Trevor King wrote:
>>>
>>> In this case, I think it may make more sense to consider cimporting
>>> stuff from .pyx files if no .pxd file is present.
>>
>> Can you cimport .pyx files that lack matching .pxd files?
>>
>>> In any case, this is a big change. I don't like the idea of always
>>> creating such a module (it may be empty, or have name conflicts)
>>
>> It shouldn't take to long to compile an empty module ;).  And odds are
>> noone will waste time importing it either.
>>
>>> nor the idea of conditionally compiling it (does one have to look at
>>> the contents and really understand Cython to see if a Python shadow
>>> will be created?)
>>
>> I agree here.
>>
>> Under the mantra "explicit is better than implicit", we could have
>> users add something like
>>
>>     cdef module "modname"
>>
>> to any .pxd files that should be inflated into Python modules.  .pxd
>> files without such a tag would receive the current treatment, error on
>> any cpdef, etc.  The drawback of this approach is that it makes Cython
>> more complicated, but if both behaviors are reasonable, there's
>> probably no getting around that.
>
> The other drawback is that it subverts the usual filename<->  module
> name convention that one usually expects.

+1

>>> I'm thinking of a place to put, e.g. the generator and bind-able
>>> function classes, which are now re-implemented in every module that
>>> uses them. I think there will be more cases like this in the future
>>> rather than less. C-level code could be #included and linked from
>>> "global" stores as well. However, that's somewhat tangential.

If you generate more than one file from a .pyx, including files that are
shared between compiler runs (or even readily built as .so files), you'd
quickly end up in dependency hell. When to regenerate that file? With what
compiler version and config? C/C++? With/out cleanup code? And where to put
it? Are you sure that place will be writable for all compiler runs? And
will the result be guaranteed to be reproducible, regardless of how many
compiler runs there were in between?

>>> There would be a wrapping type, e.g.
>>>
>>> cdef class MyUnion:
>>>     cdef union_type value

Wouldn't that have to be a pointer to the real thing instead?

>>> with a bunch of setters/getters for the values, just like there are
>>> for structs. (In fact the same code would handle structs and unions).
>>>
>>> This is getting into the wrapper-generator territory, but I'm starting
>>> to think for simple things that might be worth it.
>>
>> I think that if Cython will automatically generate a wrapper for
>>
>>     cdef public int x
>>
>> it should generate a wrapper for
>>
>>     cdef struct X: cdef public int x
>
> Or
>
>      cdef public struct X:
>          int x
>          readonly int z
>          private int z
>
> I would perhaps say that non-Pythonable non-private members in public
> structs would be a compile error.

+1, keep it safe at the beginning.

>> There really aren't that metatypes in C, so it doesn't seem like a
>> slippery slope to me.  Maybe I'm just missing something...

>>> I'm not sure we're agreed on this one.

Same from here. To me, that doesn't make much sense for code that wraps a
library. And if it doesn't wrap a library, there isn't much benefit in
writing a stand-alone .pxd in the first place. A .pyx is much more explicit
and obvious in this case. Especially having some .pxd files that generate
.so files and others that don't will make this very ugly.

I'd prefer adding support for cimporting from .pyx files instead,
potentially with an automated caching generation of corresponding .pxd
files (maybe as ".pxdg" files to make them easier to handle for users).
However, cyclic dependencies would be tricky to handle automatically then.

>>> This seems like the best first step.

+1

>>> All enums in C are named.
>>
>> But my Cython declaration (exposing a C `#define CONST_A 1`):
>>
>>     cdef extern from 'mylib.h':
>>         enum: CONST_A
>>
>> is not a named enum.
>
> Ah, yes. Maybe we require a name (that would only be used in Python space).

... require it for cpdef enums, you mean?

OTOH, the "enum: NAME" scheme is ugly by itself. There should be a way to
declare external constants correctly. After all, we loose all type
information that way. I just saw that in math.pxd things like "M_PI" are
declared as plain "enum" instead of "const double" or something. The type
inferencer can't do anything with that. It might even draw the completely
wrong conclusions.