[Cython] python 2.7/3.x and numpy-dev (Dag, I need a quick comment)

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Fri Feb 18 09:13:36 CET 2011

On 02/17/2011 07:11 PM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
> I'm working on a patch to get old, recent, and dev NumPy working in
> 2.7/3.x. So far, I had success, but I still have two failures like the
> one pasted below.
>
> Dag, could you elaborate a bit about the purpose of
> __Pyx_BufFmt_CheckString() ? It is just a validity check for pep 3118
> format strings? Do you expect the failure below to be hard to fix?s.

Yes, it compares the string with the RTTI that is saved for the type
that is expected by the code.

I remember there was something about the '=' specifier that meant it was
not completely trivial to fix, but still, it's just about doing it. The
code in question is a bit convoluted; the reason I did that is because I
wanted to allow things to match if the binary layouts matched even if
the 'struct structure' wasn't the same...

As for user code, a quick hack around this is 'cast=True' in the  buffer
spec.

Please file a bug...

Dag Sverre