[Cython] Distributing Windows binary using OpenMP / cython.parallel

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Tue Dec 13 12:47:33 CET 2011

Den 12.12.2011 21:09, skrev Wes McKinney:
> I'm interested in using the Cython OpenMP extensions in pandas for
> various calculations, but I'm concerned about cross-platform issues,
> especially distributing built binaries of the extensions to Windows
> users. Is there a clean way to bundle the relevant OpenMP DLLs in
> distutils?
>
> thanks,
> Wes

Are you using MSVC or MinGW compiler?

If you use MinGW, beware of licensing issues for the required pthreads
library (pthreadsGC2.dll, I think it's LGPL). It is not a part of MinGW
or GCC/GNU. So linking it statically can be a problem.

As for the MSVC compiler, IIRC the OpenMP runtime is a part of the MSVC
runtime DLLs which the user must install anyway.

Sturla