[Cython] Calling gil-requiring function not allowed without gil

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Thu Aug 18 08:39:04 CEST 2011

On 08/17/2011 09:21 PM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no>  wrote:
>> On 08/17/2011 08:19 PM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>>>
>>> That's a nice idea. I have to admit that all these special gil
>>> declarations are a bit messy. I'd also rather introduce clear
>>> decorators, e.g.
>>>
>>> @cython.requires_gil  # expects gil
>>> cdef a(): ...
>>>
>>> @cython.requires.gil(False) # nogil
>>> cdef b(): ...
>>>
>>> @cython.aquires_gil  # with gil
>>> cdef c(): ...
>>>
>>> (Actually, now that we have the "with gil" statement, it could be
>>> worth considering simply noticing the pattern of the entire function
>>> body in a with gil block/as the first statement and acquiring the GIL
>>> before argument parsing.)
>>>
>>> Note that we need to declare functions as requiring the GIL to allow
>>> for declaring cpython.pxd if extern functions are implicitly nogil.
>>
>> I agree, it's messy in the current situation, simplifying would be good.
>>
>> Assuming we can't acquire the GIL in every single function just to be sure,
>> I have a hunch that the "acquires_gil" aspect of a function is just declared
>> in the wrong place. I mean, the same function might be passed as a callback
>> to C both while holding the GIL and while not holding the GIL -- it would be
>> nice to automatically wrap it in a GIL-acquiring wrapper only when needed.
>>
>> So to me it makes more sense to have acquires_gil be part of function
>> pointer types, or of the C call where the pointer is passed, or similar.
>> Sort of like an FFI. Can't think of a practical scheme that's more
>> user-friendly than the current way though...
>
> I was thinking the opposite, "aquires_gil" should be completely
> transparent to the caller (assuming it's cheap enough to
> check-or-acquire, but that's an optimization not API issue). On the
> other hand requires/does not require does need to be visible to the
> caller though, which argues for it being part of the signature.

Are you saying that every single function cdef function, ever, that are
not "nogil" should have acqusition semantics?

Those semantics would be great, but I worry a bit about performance --
we just agreed to make function GIL-acquisition even a bit more
expensive with that check...

Hmm. How about this:

  i) Every cdef function that needs the GIL to be held generates a
GIL-acquiring wrapper function as well.

  ii) Whenever taking the address of such a function, you get the
address of the GIL-requiring wrapper, which can safely be used from any
code, whether holding the GIL or not.

  iii) However, Cython code that already holds the GIL can call the
inner function directly, as an optimization. Should be possible to do
this across pxd's as well.

  iv) We may introduce a cython.nogil_function_address or similar just
to provide an option to get around ii).

  v) The "with gil" on functions simply ceases to take effect, and is
deprecated from the language.

> Regarding inference, are you thinking the semantics being that we
> (re)-acquire the GIL for every individual operation that needs it
> (including python operations or entire with gil blocks), with the
> obvious optimization that we may choose to not release it between
> (nearly) consecutive blocks of code that all need the GIL? That would
> be truer to Python semantics, but would require risky guesswork at
> compile time or some kind of periodic runtime checks. (It would also
> be a strongly backwards incompatible move, so as mentioned you'd need
> some kind of a explicit marker and deprecation period.)

No, I wasn't talking about this at all (this time on the list -- I did
mention that I wished for this behaviour in Munich, but that's really
long term).

All I wished for now was for simple code like this:

cdef double f(double x): return x**2 + x

to be callable without holding the GIL. In particular since this is the
major reason why prange users need to learn the "nogil" keyword.

The semantics are simple: For all cdef functions, if "nogil" could have
been applied without a syntax error, then it gets automatically applied.

The only time this isn't completely safe is when the GIL is
intentionally being used as a lock.

Dag Sverre