[Cython] [cython-users] Calling gil-requiring function not allowed without gil

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Thu Aug 11 16:16:36 CEST 2011

On 08/11/2011 04:00 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Actually, it's worth asking if even the prange loop was a good idea,
> given the amount of confusion driven traffic that it currently produces
> on the mailing list. I'm not arguing against it, but it seems to be a
> trickier concept than it appears at first sight. IMHO, that's worth
> working on *before* we introduce even more hard-to-understand concepts
> and hard-to-control compiler trickery.

Honestly. Have you even read the posts regarding the prange statements?

One was a missing DLL (similar in nature to "I can't find my Python.h"),
and another tried to implement something which was fundamentally not
parallizable using *any* conceivable framework for expressing any
parallelism at all.

Nobody has as far as I remember had a problem that wouldn't be a problem
using multiprocessing or some such instead.

I think you're very far from arguing rational in any sense about this,
so I'll try my best to just shut up.

(Sorry all, but the statement about the prange loop blew my fuses...)

Dag Sverre