[Cython] Hudson account

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Apr 19 13:36:53 CEST 2011

mark florisson, 19.04.2011 13:09:
> On 19 April 2011 12:53, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> mark florisson, 19.04.2011 12:31:
>>> All I want is to run the master branch (it has the 'with gil'
>>> statement') and the openmp branch. I also want the fusedtypes branch,
>>> which I'll create in a minute or two.
>>
>> That's three branches in total, plus the builds in three CPython versions
>> (2.4, 2.7 and Py3k), plus 2xC/C++ testing each. So, at least 3+9+18=30 new
>> jobs that will compete with the others.
>>
>> I would expect that the three branches would rarely be changed all at the
>> same time (except when you update them from the main branch), but that may
>> still result in quite some additional delays due to the longer build queue.
>
> Switching the branches would be fine with me, so 3 Python versions x 1
> branch x 2xC/C++ = 6 jobs.

10 actually (1+3+6), but only the (6) test jobs are long running.

The job tree first builds an sdist from github, then builds bdists from
that in all CPython versions, then tests the result in the test jobs.

> Is it necessary to separate C from C++ testing?

Not necessary, it just gives quicker feedback, right after the first test
job is finished. If you test both in one job, it just runs twice as long.

The problem is not so much the sheer number of jobs (we have several
hundred Hudson jobs up at work). It's the time it takes to run the ones
that get triggered, and especially long running jobs that fill up the pipeline.

If you can live with a longer response time (usually just a couple of
minutes), I'd suggest merging the test jobs, so that only one of them fills
up the pipeline per build, instead of two.