[Csv] Thoughts about a patch

Magnus Lie Hetland magnus at hetland.org
Mon Mar 15 09:20:45 CET 2004

Magnus Lie Hetland <magnus at hetland.org>:
[snip]
> Does that seem reasonable? One could even issue a warning if the user
> has quotechar and escapechar set at the same time, maybe? Then we'd
> get away from the pesky interactions between the two... (Similar
> warnings would apply to doublequote, of course.)
>
> And the behavior of the escape character, when quotes are out of the
> picture, could be defined as something like: "when preceding either
> separator, lineterminator or escapechar, the escapechar is removed and
> the separator/lineterminator/escapechar is included verbatim in the
> field."

A possible "strictification" would be to disallow the use of the
escape character *except* in the places where it has an obvious
meaning (in front of a field/record separator or another escape char).

Still not sure how to escape with multi-character line terminators,
though.

--
Magnus Lie Hetland           "The mind is not a vessel to be filled,
http://hetland.org            but a fire to be lighted."  [Plutarch]