Andrew Dalke's space example (was Re: [Csv] csv)

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Mon Feb 17 01:06:13 CET 2003

>> PyArg_PTAK was originally used, but really isn't well suited to what
>> we're trying to do,
>
>Hmmm ... nobody seems to want to discuss my point that what you're trying
>to do (the whole dialect thing) is a bit over the top.

Yep - we had this discussion early on - the list archives should have
details:

    http://manatee.mojam.com/pipermail/csv/

Note that the registry stuff is entirely optional. You can pass a class
or instance as the dialect, and it will work as expected. The doco should
probably be updated to mention this.

>> and ends up raising obscure errors of it's own (or, more to
>> the point, goes subtly wrong without warning the user).
>
>Can you give an example of "goes subtly wrong without warning"? Have you
>reported these problems?

What we're trying to do is not what PyArg_PTAK does well - it's not
PyArg_PTAK's fault that it doesn't do what we want...

One problem was that PyArg_PTAK tries to hide the distinction between
positional and keyword arguments - every keyword argument is given a
position. This was more of a problem in the old days (the parameters
were originally all positional).

http://www.object-craft.com.au/