[Cryptography-dev] Need to upgrade from cryptography-2.1.4-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl

Paul Kehrer paul.l.kehrer at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:05:03 EDT 2020

Hi Scott,

Binary wheels for Python contain tags that provide information about
their compatibility. In your case the wheel is Python 3.5 compatible
and corresponds to the manylinux1 specification. If you look at our
changelog (https://cryptography.io/en/latest/changelog/) you can see
that we provide a changelog entry for the version of OpenSSL we ship
with a wheel. Any release that doesn't state that OpenSSL has been
updated will carry the same version as the previous. 2.1.4 wheels
shipped with 1.1.0g statically linked and our latest release (2.9.2)
ships with OpenSSL 1.1.1g (the latest OpenSSL).

We also now ship abi3 wheels, which allow us to ship a single wheel
compatible with multiple Python 3.x releases, so the two wheels that
will work for you are the ones tagged cp35-abi3-manylinux1 and
cp35-abi3-manylinux2010. There is no meaningful difference between
these wheels except that manylinux2010 wheels link against slightly
newer libraries and are therefore generally compatible only with Linux
distributions using glibc from 2010 or newer.

pip is capable of determining compatibility for tags like this
automatically so in the future you can determine what OpenSSL version
from the changelog and then just use pip to grab the wheel you need.

-Paul