[Cryptography-dev] High-level password hashing module for cryptography?

Frank Siebenlist frank.siebenlist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 00:59:02 EDT 2016

passlib looks like a very comprehensive library for password(-hash) management.

However, a number of warts were discussed in this issue:
https://github.com/pyca/cryptography/issues/1149

Some nuggets from that discussion: passlib relies on m2crypto for
openssl support (m2crypto has its own warts), no external backend
support for python 3, and the observation that the best solution may
be cryptography becoming a configurable backend for passlib. What
worries me also is that I do not see a lot of active development
lately on passlib.

In the mean time, I see that the latest versions of both python 2&3
have support for pbkdf2 that also seems to rely on openssl.
How does that compare to pyca/cryptography's?

My plan was to find a good, well vetted, as fast as possible pbkdf2
implementation, and migrate to argon2 once its implementation is
ready. I do recognize that just those implementations are not enough,
and that support for migration to different algos and work-factors are
very important.
Too many imperfect solutions... it's like real life ;-)

Could use some more advise or suggestions...

Thanks, Frank.