[Cryptography-dev] Unsupported platforms?

Paul Kehrer paul.l.kehrer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 22:43:51 CEST 2015

Do you think a warning on import that suggests an upgrade (similar to what requests does for Python < 2.7.9) without removing support is a reasonable path forward?

Jython doesn't support C extensions so not right now. There are some efforts (http://jyni.org) to add support for it and in some past conversations with jython devs they've talked a bit about jffi, but for now we don't work there.
On March 29, 2015 at 2:28:54 PM, Matěj Cepl (mcepl at cepl.eu) wrote:

On 29/03/15 12:16, Alex Stapleton wrote:
> Aren't RedHat supporting 2.6 within RHEL 6 until 2020?

Yes, we will. Most likely even a little bit longer
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Product_life_cycle).

I would strongly plea for not dropping 2.6. One of the reasons I like
this whole project (and why as one of co-maintainer of the upstream of
M2Crypto I am suggesting it to all my users) is that I hope it could
be finally one true Python cryptographic library (after all, "There
should be one -- and preferably only one -- obvious way to do it.").
If PyCA could finally kill all those other projects like M2Crypto,
python-crypto (please!) et all, it would be the great thing.

However, I believe, the key to this mission is that PyCA needs to
support all reasonably supported versions of Python first (BTW, does
PyCA work with Jython?), otherwise all those other crypto libraries
still have raison d'être.

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

A day without sunshine is like night.