[Cryptography-dev] Unsupported platforms?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Mar 29 07:46:07 CEST 2015

RHEL5 ships with Python 2.4, however you can get Python 2.6 from EPEL.
RHEL6 ships with Python 2.6, however you can get Python 2.7 from SCL.

Dropping support for Python 2.6 will mean dropping support for RHEL5 altogether and dropping support for RHEL6 without using SCL to install Python 2.7.

I don’t feel strongly about if we should drop Python 2.6, I do want to point out one thing though. It’s true that Python 2.6 is no longer getting security updates from python-dev, it is also true however, that Python 2.6 *is* getting support from downstream redistributors. We *are* a security sensitive library so it’s not uncommon to tell people that if they are still stuck on Python 2.6 they can get access to the functionality of the new Python SSL module by installing pyOpenSSL (and by extension cryptography).

Obviously at some point we have to tell those people enough is enough and we’re dropping support and if you want support go talk to your vendor, is this that point? I don’t know. I haven’t started dropping support for Python 2.6 in my own projects because continuing to support Python 2.6 is a minimal amount of effort over Python 2.7. It might finally be time to consider it for real.

I don’t have the numbers immediately available, but I can get them. It takes me awhile to load them up but it’s not too hard to do.

For what it’s worth, I do have cryptography specific numbers from September [1], however that’s a long time ago in the lifetime of cryptography so I’m not sure it’s really relevant to what things look like today.

[1] https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/0E0H2A2Y2m0y1z0b0S26/stacked-py-pct.png <https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/0E0H2A2Y2m0y1z0b0S26/stacked-py-pct.png>