[Cryptography-dev] Unsupported platforms?

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 20:29:53 CET 2015

Hi folks,

I'd like to propose we deprecate, with the intention of removing, support
for Python 2.6. The reason for this is that Python 2.6 is no longer
receiving support for the Python core developers in any form, including
security releases.

We provide a piece of security sensitive software, and I claim it would be
irresponsible to say it's supported on platforms which are themselves not
supported.

This would affect our current downstreams, such as pyOpenSSL, Twisted, and
OpenStack, as well as things we'd like to be our downstreams, such as
Paramiko/Fabric. So I'm hoping some of them will chime in.

By way of adding data around this: Django's latest release is 2.7/3.x only,
however there has been some measure of requests to add additional long term
support for a past release which has 2.6 support. I've seen numbers from
Donald that (as of the end of last year) 2.6 is ~10-15% of PyPI downloads
across the board.

Thoughts?

Alex

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084