[Cryptography-dev] [Proposal] Intent to deprecate and remove: Python 2.6

Cory Benfield cory at lukasa.co.uk
Wed Dec 23 07:43:39 EST 2015

> On 23 Dec 2015, at 03:43, Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose we formally deprecate (in our next release) and remove (in the release thereafter) support for Python2.6.
>
> It is no longer under support from its developers (which makes it a security risk), its use is more or less confined to users of CentOS and RHEL (which means SCL is available to them, and they have a corporate benefactor to complain to if it doesn't work), and its seriously funking with our development workflow because it's so abysmally slow in CI (which means it's annoying me enough to want to solve this).
>
> There is genuinely no justifiable reason to use Python 2.6 anymore, both Django and Twisted have dropped it.
>
> If this would _seriously_ impact you, please reply to this thread. If possible I'd also like to hear from our downstreams.

I strongly support this move. At this point I’ve received strong suggestions from Red Hat employees that would actively like Python OSS projects to stop supporting Python 2.6. If this is the case, I seen no reason for any PyCA project to continue to support Python 2.6 for their upcoming releases.

Cory