[Cryptography-dev] Let the flood gates open!

Jean-Paul Calderone jean-paul at hybridcluster.com
Mon Sep 9 14:12:01 CEST 2013

On 09/09/2013 08:06 AM, Christian Heimes wrote:
> Am 09.09.2013 14:04, schrieb Hynek Schlawack:
> > I?d think concentrating on giving JP what he needs for pyopenssl
> > might be less work with quicker and  actually *useful* results?
>
> Please don't underestimate X.509, CRL and TLS/SSL. It's much, *much*
> more work than a couple of block ciphers and hash algorithms.

True.  On the other hand, the project that `cryptography´ killed,
`opentls´, already had cffi bindings for the majority of the APIs
pyOpenSSL requires and there was a branch I was working on getting
merged into master that provided 100% of the necessary APIs.

Now that there is any code for OpenSSL bindings at all, I took a look at
what might make sense as a next step to get some of the functionality
pyOpenSSL needs.  I was a little discouraged by the structure of the
code which looks like it is much less amenable to improvement and
maintenance than the code from opentls.  opentls had its problems but it
was nice that it tried to split the necessary cffi declarations up a
bit.  I'd like to see something like this happen to the structure of the
openssl bindings in cryptography.

Jean-Paul