[C++-sig] Boost Python Wrong Python Version macOS

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Mon Sep 7 14:47:34 EDT 2020

Hi Mortimer,

On 2020-09-06 12:54 p.m., Mortimer Hemmit wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Apologies for breaking the reply chain; I wasn't subscribed to the
> list earlier, so this is the only message I could reply to. Now I
> should be able to reply to other messages.
>
> Thanks for your email. I don't think that ./b2 has the option to
> specify the python version within --with-python - I think only
> ./bootstrap does. When I tried
>
> ./b2 --with-python=3.7
>
> I got;
>
> *****BEGIN OUTPUT*****
> error: wrong library name 'python=3.7' in the --with-<library> option.
> *****END OUTPUT*****
>
> Then, I tried invoking ./b2 with option python=3.7.
>
> sudo ./b2 python=3.7 --with-python
>
> *****BEGIN OUTPUT*****
> /Users/Mort/Downloads/boost_1_74_0/tools/build/src/build/feature.jam:491:
> in feature.validate-value-string from module feature
> error: "3.7" is not a known value of feature <python>
> error: legal values: "2.7"

you are entirely right, there is no `--with-python` option to `b2`.
Sorry for sending you down a wrong route.

I think what you need is described in
https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_74_0/libs/python/doc/html/building/configuring_boost_build.html

Create a ~/user-config.jam file containing the line "using python : 3.7 ;"

This informs Boost.Build of the availability of that Python version
(depending on your system you may want to add more parameters to specify
paths, library name, etc.). You could define multiple versions (one per
line), in which case the option `./b2 python=<python-version>` will
allow you to select one.

Hope this helps,

Stefan