[C++-sig] C++ comments to docstrings

Andy Falanga (afalanga) afalanga at micron.com
Thu Nov 19 19:33:58 EST 2015

On 11/19/2015 11:06 AM, Alex Mohr wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> We do something very similar to what you describe, except we use
> doxygen (www.doxygen.org) to output XML files that we use to generate
> __doc__ strings for our python bindings.  We're primarily a linux shop.
>
> I don't know how hard it would be to switch to doxygen, maybe it can
> deal with C#-ish style comments?  But I believe it runs on Linux and
> Windows so perhaps it might help?
>
> Alex

Alex,

Knowing better how our system works, using doxygen may be a viable
alternative.  I'll investigate this.  I've used it before on our
codebase and it worked fairly well.  However, the output wasn't the same
as the XML produced by VS.  At the time, I thought this was a
showstopper.  Knowing more now, however, it might be possible to alter
our parsing routines to evaluate the doxygen XML.  This would be grand
since doxygen is pretty simple to install on Linux.

Thanks again,
Andy