[C++-sig] shared_ptr and GIL crash in boost::python (patch)

Václav Šmilauer eu at doxos.eu
Thu Aug 13 14:01:06 CEST 2015

>> I would like to ask someone to look at the patch if it is safe to be
>> applied, and do so. It's been first identified 2 years ago. If I can do
>> something on my part, or other reporters, I am willing to do whatever is
>> necessary to expedite this.
>>
>> Opinions?
> I guess it would be very prone to deadlocks in existing code. I, for
> one, would not welcome such an unexpected change of behavior in a
> minor version upgrade.
I'd suggest to turn this on via an optional argument to the bp::class_
template (or using a "global" variable settable at runtime for
controlling this), would that be an option? While I see the possibility
of deadlocks (in code which must be broken anyway), ATM what we get is
segfaults and workarounds for those.

v.