[C++-sig] Segfaults in object deallocation

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Wed Mar 20 23:07:27 CET 2013

On 20 Mar 2013 at 18:43, Alex Leach wrote:

> Thanks for that link. I checked out the tnfox library, which the FAQ
> refers to as having a thread-safe implementation of invoke.hpp. tnfox,
> whatever it is, also has an extensive indexing_suite, complete with a
> template for std::list containers ;)

TnFOX is a metaprogrammed platform abstraction and GUI layer for my
next-gen operating system platform, Tn (http://www.nedprod.com/Tn/).
It was still compiling a few years, but I'd imagine it has a bad case
of bitrot. Either way, that's all ten year old code and design now,
and very much an orphan isolate in that it doesn't use Boost or
recent patterns in C++. It also, rather unhelpfully given the modern
world, wasn't written with embedded processors in mind and assumed
exponential growth in CPU clock rates would continue much longer than
it has.

As it happens, I was recently employed by a major corporation on the
basis of that next-gen platform design. As a side project I'm busy
reimplementing parts of it in Boost and C++11 right now, so you /may/
see something written using Boost.ASIO and Boost.Graph hit
Boost.Sandbox this summer with the hope of it eventually being
accepted into Boost. I'm hoping, if it works out, that said side
project makes possible many other useful things for C++17 and beyond.

> In case you're interested, it's in the BoostPatches.zip archive, at:-
> http://tnfox.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=tnfox/tnfox;a=tree;f=Python;hb=HEAD

I'd imagine these are highly bitrotted by now.

You may also find a discussion in this list's archives some time ago
about what we ought to have in Boost.Python v3 (v4?) of use. There we
discussed the general Python<=>C++ layer implementation, and how it
would be nice if it could be arbitrarily configurable via invoke
policies etc.

Niall

--
Any opinions or advice expressed here do NOT reflect those
of my employer BlackBerry Inc.