[C++-sig] Boost.Python: How to expose std::unique_ptr

Mario Schlipf catchall at schlipf.it
Mon Dec 16 16:06:19 CET 2013

Hi all,

I am farily new to boost.python and trying to expose the return value of a
function to python.

The function signature looks like this:

 	std::unique_ptr<Message> someFunc(const std::string &str) const;

When calling the function in python, I get the following error:

	TypeError: No to_python (by-value) converter found for C++ type:
std::unique_ptr<Message, std::default_delete<Message> >

My function call in python looks like this:

	a = mymodule.MyClass()
	a.someFunc("some string here") # error here

I tried to expose the smart pointer with the following statements:

	class_<std::unique_ptr<Message, std::default_delete<Message>>,
bost::noncopyable ("Message", init<>()) ;

This example compiles, but I still get the error mentioned above.
Also, I tried to expose the class `Message` itself

	class_<Message>("Message", init<unsigned>())
		.def(init<unsigned, unsigned>())
		.def("f", &Message::f)
	;

Does someone know how to properly expose the pointer class?
Thanks!