[C++-sig] Managing the GIL across competing threads

Jim Bosch talljimbo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 16:54:22 CET 2012

On 03/17/2012 11:20 PM, Adam Preble wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Niall Douglas
> <s_sourceforge at nedprod.com <mailto:s_sourceforge at nedprod.com>> wrote:
>
>     If by "Python side" you mean Boost.Python, then I agree: BPL has no
>     support for GIL management at all, and it really ought to. This was
>     one of the things that was discussed in the BPL v3 discussions on
>     this list a few months ago.
>

> Hey do you know any terms or thread names where I could go digging
> through some of those discussions?

Look for "[Boost.Python v3]" and "New Major-Release Boost.Python
Development" in the subject line.

We didn't go into a lot of depth on the threading, I'm afraid, as one of
the problems is that the guy starting the effort - me - doesn't actually
know much about threaded programming.  But I am hoping that I can design
things in such a way that someone like Niall could easily take it from
there.

Jim