[C++-sig] Problem Compiling Boost.Python Example

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Sat Apr 7 14:29:48 CEST 2012

On 6 Apr 2012 at 20:33, Payam Shiva wrote:

> Thank you Adam. I tried what you said, but it doesn't work for me. It
> gave an error, among a bunch of others, that it couldn't find
> python26.lib. I have Python 2.7 installed on my computer, so it makes
> sense. Maybe the person who compiled the libraries had Python 2.6
> installed.

That looks extremely likely.

> Anyway, just out of curiosity, I changed the name of python27.lib in
> C:\Python27\libs to python26.lib and also changed it in in
> Linker->Input->Additional Dependencies. This time it said it couldn't
> find python27.lib. I don't understand. Does it expect python27.lib and
> python26.lib to be present at the same time.

PE stub linker files (the .libs) are tied to their DLL. Even if you
rename them it knows what they really are.

> After four days and putting hours of work trying to figure out how
> this thing woks, I can't even compile a hello world example. I'm
> giving up. Thank you for being so helpful, but maybe Boost.Python just
> isn't for me. I might check it out again a couple of years later. I
> hope by that time, someone has created a simple way to install it, so
> everyone could start using it right away, just like Python itself.

With respect, if you're struggling with getting MSVC working then
probably starting with Boost is ambitious.

Generally speaking, the documentation for Boost assumes a certain
minimum understanding, and I've always found that level of
understanding is considerably higher than the average C++ programmer.
I struggled throughout my time with Boost, and I had previously
written my own metaprogramming library.

Hence if you're struggling now, you are likely to be struggling for
the foreseeable future. That said, investing a full-time equivalent
year of your life mastering Boost will improve you as a person. I'm
not joking - expect your higher order logic skills to improve
immensely, and if you can find an employer capable of recognising
that skill expect a highly rewarded career.

But it does take at least 2500 hours. Very few programmers can do it
in less. It's still worth doing though, and it'll stand to you for
the rest of your life. I'd urge you to stick with it. Start with
figuring out how to build Boost using a non-bjam build system (and
NOT using Visual Studio). I personally like scons as it's really
python, even though it can't scale.

Niall

--
Technology & Consulting Services - ned Productions Limited.
http://www.nedproductions.biz/. VAT reg: IE 9708311Q.