[C++-sig] [Boost.Python v3] Conversions and Registries

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Wed Oct 5 21:41:25 CEST 2011

On 5 Oct 2011 at 11:30, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> > I think this might turn into something that approaches the same mass
> > of complexity Niall describes,
>
> Nothing ever needs to be quite as complex as what Niall describes ;-)
>
> (no offense intended, Niall)

And here I am thinking I am clear as bell! :)

No offence taken at all Dave. I often find your thinking confusing
too. We just don't think similarly, but that's likely a good thing.

[BTW, I have a small book shortly going on sale early December
outlining my personal recommendations on how to make human
civilisation sustainable. If you think my coding stuff hurts the
head, I am told that said book is unbelievably complex. Can't see why
myself :)]

> > because a Python module can be imported into several places in a
> > hierarchy at once, and it seems we'd have to track which instance of
> > the module is active in order to resolve those scopes correctly.
>
> Meh.  I think a module has an official identity, its __name__.

And version and current state. It's like how a single piece of code
can have multiple identities because multiple threads and processes
can execute it.

> Don't let him scare you off.  He's a very smart guy, and a good guy, but
> he tends to describe things in a way that I find to be needlessly
> daunting.

Thank you Dave. I actually didn't know you had an opinion on me and I
am genuinely both surprised and pleased. Your opinion I take
seriously. I hope you keep your high opinion when you see me on ISO
SC22 (I hopefully will be becoming the Irish representative for ISO
later this month).

I agree entirely with Dave - don't let me scare you off! What you're
doing Jim is great and keep at it. Do what you feel is best, in the
end it's your code and your time.

Niall

--
Technology & Consulting Services - ned Productions Limited.
http://www.nedproductions.biz/. VAT reg: IE 9708311Q. Company no: