[C++-sig] [Boost.Python v3] Conversions and Registries

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Wed Oct 5 15:26:45 CEST 2011

On 10/05/2011 09:18 AM, Jim Bosch wrote:

> I have one (perhaps unusual) use case that's extremely important for
> me: I have a templated matrix/vector/array class, and I want to define
> converters between those types and numpy that work with any
> combination of template parameters.  I can do that with compile-time
> converters, and after including the header everything just works.
> With runtime conversions, I have to explicitly declare all the
> template parameter combinations I intend to use.

Jim,

I may be a little slow here, but I still don't see the issue. You need
to export your classes to Python one at a time anyhow, i.e. not as a
template, letting the Python runtime figure out all valid template
argument permutations. So why can't the converter definitions simply be
bound to those type definitions ?

Thanks,
        Stefan