[C++-sig] Status of Numpy support in boost python - II

Jim Bosch talljimbo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 21:23:38 CET 2011

On 01/03/2011 04:46 PM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> On 01/03/2011 07:05 PM, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:
>>> <what Stefan Seefeld said>
>>> I think the low-level API I have in the sandbox fits this need, or at
>>> least
>>> provides some of the basics. I'd love to see that morph into
>>> something that
>>> we can all use to connect numpy to the C++ template library of our
>>> choice,
>> Yes, that would be wonderful, indeed. Maybe a GSoC project?
>
> Excellent idea. Let's see whether anyone is interested to pick it up
> (I'd be happy to mentor it). If not, perhaps we can make progress
> nonetheless.

I'd be happy to help as well, though I don't really have the experience
with boost development necessary to qualify as a mentor.  I'll start by
putting together a README file for the sandbox library over the next few
days so others can get a better idea of where we might be starting from.

Aside from direct data access (and the other things I have implemented
already), what else should such a library do?  One thing I can think of
off the top of my head is automatic conversion for Numpy scalar types -
I'm pretty sure someone else on this list has implemented that
somewhere, but it's not present in the sandbox library.

Jim