[C++-sig] Advice sought on making a large C++ application a Python extension

David Aldrich David.Aldrich at EU.NEC.COM
Wed Sep 15 11:37:00 CEST 2010

Hi Ben

Thanks very much for your reply. Sorry that my response has been slow but I have been trying to digest yours. I have also taken a detour to investigate CMake.

>As to how to make your functionality available with a Python
>extension - I'm not sure exactly what kind of app you have,
>but is it possible to make the Python portion only an
>interface to the underlying C++ code? That's basically what
>we did with our application - write a wrapper layer on top
>of the ordinary C++ API that implemented a Python API. This
>also allowed us to build the C++ application, and then with
>an additional build step (in GNU make) we were able to
>compile the python interface layer.

I'm sorry to say that I don't really understand the concept of making the Python portion only an interface to the underlying C++ code. Please could you explain what that means?

Best regards

David