[C++-sig] [Boost.Python] Wrapping C library functions

joop renes jooprenes at tele2.nl
Tue Feb 16 00:01:55 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 13:44 -0800, TP wrote:
> Doesn't the first example in The Boost.Python Tutorial
> (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_42_0/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/index.html)
> show it making a simple C function available to Python?
>
> I want to be able to use the open source, Leptonica C Image Processing
> Library (available at http::/leptonica.com) from Python, preferably
> without having to make any changes to it. But again, handling the
> PIX** parameter seems problematic.
>
> I was hoping to avoid writing C++ wrapper classes (but Stefan
> Seefeld's answer on this list) does have a nice short example of what
> I would have to do.
>
> Using SWIG was my last choice (well, the last choice is directly using
> the C Api).
>
> I have also looked at pybindgen, but Gustavo Carneiro tells me at
> https://answers.launchpad.net/pybindgen/+question/101056 that it is
> currently unable to easily handle parameters of the form SOMETYPE**.
>
> Other options I will investigate are: ctypes, Cython, expy, and SIP
> (the last only because the ultiate goal is to use Leptonica Image
> Processing routines inside a PyQt-based app).
hi,
i am new to this list, but i have been exposed to c++ with some
intensity and have benefitted greatly from the loki library provided by
Andrei Alexandrescu, author of Modern C++ Design. His class template
SmartPtr provides everything you'd ever want in a wrapper class, memory
management included.Also the library is completely free
<loki-lib.SF>
I hope this helps, because i plan to integrate some python stuff with c
++
best regards
joop