[C++-sig] wrapping operator=

William Ladwig wladwig at wdtinc.com
Mon May 25 18:54:53 CEST 2009

Generally how that situation is handled on the Python side is to use the container emulation API, so that assigning all values would look like this to a user of your class:

data[:] = 42.

To do this, you just need to write a small c++ wrapper to expose the __setitem__(self, key, value) function, which accepts (or extracts) a slice object for the key and then calls your class operator= function.  Or, you could just stick with the assign function that you created, which may be better if your class isn't supposed to look like a container.  This may actually be less error prone.

Here is the Python container emulation documentation:

http://docs.python.org/reference/datamodel.html#emulating-container-types

Other people may have better suggestions.

Regards,
Bill