[C++-sig] Problem with bjam quickstart

Rene Rivera grafikrobot at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 03:40:00 CET 2009

Gabriel Joel Perez wrote:
> Hi! I'm getting problems with running the basic demo that is described in
> the bjam quickstart guide
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/libs/python/doc/building.html
>
> I have the following bjam version: boost-jam-3.1.17-1-linuxx86/ and I'm
> running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron  and I have libboost-python1.34.1
>
> Whenever I run the following: bjam --verbose-test --debug-configuration test
>
> I get the following error
>
> notice: found boost-build.jam at
> /usr/share/doc/libboost-doc/examples/libs/python/example/boost-build.jam
> notice: loading Boost.Build from /usr/share/boost-build
> notice: loading site-config.jam from /etc/site-config.jam
> notice: loading user-config.jam from /usr/share/boost-build/user-config.jam
> Error: Illegal attempt to re-bootstrap the build system by invoking
>
>    'boost-build ../../../../tools/build/v2 ;'
>
> Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.

IIRC, that example assumes it's being run as part of the full Boost
sources. But it does it as a standalone project to show what it could
look like in your own project. Hence it causes problems when it's really
separate :-( It means you should open up the "example/boost-build.jam"
<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/tags/release/Boost_1_34_1/boost/libs/python/example/boost-build.jam>
file, the "example/Jamroot" file, and likely other Jam* files in there
to follow the instructions that mention changing paths when those
examples are moved outside of the Boost source tree.

HTH.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything