[C++-sig] Expanding embedded code

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Thu Apr 23 04:15:38 CEST 2009

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Robin Gilks wrote:
>> A difficult question to put a title to so I'll paint a brief scenario...
>>
>> The application is written in c++
>> It receives a data message and instantiates a message decoder class.
>> Based on the contends that are extracted into the class variables, a
>> response is built by instantiating an encoder class and setting its
>> class variables with setter methods. At this point I want to pass
>> control over to a Python script so that it can modify the encoder
>> class variables (via the accessors) if required before the response
>> is actually sent. These accessors would form an extension to the
>> interpreter. Note that doing more work in the Python script is not an
>> option - too much data in too short a time!!
>
> You say "The application is written in c++" which I read as the above
> already exists, and is not subject to (re-)design.
> Otherwise I would suggest to do most of this inside Python itself,
> given the highly dynamic nature of the problem.
>

>> I've got as far as embedding the interpreter and calling the correct
>> method in a script but I've hit a problem in extending the
>> interpreter to access the decoder and encoder classes in my main app.
>
> Some nit-picking: You are not extending the interpreter. You are
> adding to the runtime (environment).
>

>> Note that I want to access the specific instances of the classes to
>> manipulate the class variables that were set before entering the
>> Python domain. Now the questions...
>>
>> * My understanding is that extending Python *always* uses a
>> dynamically loaded library (i.e. a run time linkage) as part of the
>> import mechanism - is there something in the C/API that will override
>> this? If I load an extra library, even one built from the same source
>> as my classes in the main app, I won't be accessing the same instance
>> of them.
>
> Indeed, there is no reason to having to dlopen() (or however your
> platform does this). You can entirely operate within the same
> compilation unit. For an example, see the
> boost/libs/python/test/exec.cpp test that defines an 'embedded_hello'
> module, then injects it directly into the Python runtime module map
> via 'PyImport_AppendInitTab()'.
>
> See
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/trunk/libs/python/test/exec.cpp
>

>> * Since the class has already be instantiated in the main app, how do
>> I pass the instance pointer to Python so that it can pass it back
>> when it makes the extension call to my class methods (assuming I can
>> get past the previous point!!). I would assume that it involves a
>> PyCObject but none of the code examples I have found give much clue
>> as to how the extension is invoked from the Python side with the
>> instance pointer apart from when using a new_class constructor call.
>
> I hope the following is intuitive enough. If not, please ask:
>
> -8<---------------------------------
>
> using namespace boost;
> [...]
I'm still having a problem with the python side of things - the c++ side
mostly makes sense. For example, the "class instances" section of the
page at

http://wiki.cacr.caltech.edu/danse/index.php/Lots_more_details_on_writing_wrappers
I can follow with no problems but I've no idea how to invoke it from
python with either the "wrap_new_Numbers" call or the subsequent
"wrap_Numbers_MemberMult" call. I just don't get what the python code
should look like to get the void pointer to the class instance at all!
Any chance of a Python 3 liner that shows how its done?

--
Robin

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.