[C++-sig] Reference counted object return value policy

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 15:15:29 CEST 2008

2008/9/24 Jean-Sébastien Guay <jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com>

> Hello Hans,
>
>  IIRC Roman has a nice web page about that.. Seems to be here:
>>
>> http://www.language-binding.net/pyplusplus/troubleshooting_guide/smart_ptrs/smart_ptrs.html
>>

> I've seen that and will try to apply it. Thanks.
>
> Actually, I think my problems with boost.python can be summed up thus:
> * I don't know when such and such strategy is required, and when it's
>  just useless code that adds to the maintenance overhead of my wrappers
> * I don't know how to debug the wrappers if they don't give the intended
>  results (other than blindly trying something else).
>
> The first point, I can work on by reading the documentation more
> thoroughly. But I would appreciate tips on the second. I haven't seen any
> documentation on that.
>
> In particular, if some code makes the python interpreter crash, what can I
> do to get a stack trace or go into it with a debugger (on windows in my
> case)? Do I need to compile Python and/or boost in debug?

Shameless plug... :-)

I think PyBindGen is better in that respect.  It may not have all the
features of BP yet, or be as mature, but it generates reasonably clean C/C++
wrapping code without templates or macros or funny variable names, so you
can debug it better.

Regards,

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
INESC Porto, Telecommunications and Multimedia Unit