[C++-sig] Boost.Python : Return std::string by ref?

Brian O'Kennedy brian.o'kennedy at vicon.com
Thu May 15 13:11:22 CEST 2008

Stefan,

I'm aware that the std::string reference got copied into an immutable
Python string which is the behaviour I wanted. I'm not intending to try
and in-place modify a string, which is the reason the reference was
const.

The reason the c++ code returns the string by const reference is purely
for performance in c++ code where these classes are mostly used.

The usage of these classes in Python will require the copying of the
std::string reference into a Python string which is immutable.

Cheers, Brian