[C++-sig] Set optimization level for build_ext ??

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 30 19:59:57 CEST 2008

Michael Wieher wrote:
> My issue is the level
> of control distutils gives me when creating these library.so files.
>
> distutils allows one to create my-custom-library.so from C++ files
> that are importable into Python.

I have found distutils to be lacking substantially support for
non-trivial features. In particular, for python extension building I
completely abandoned the idea of using the standard build_ext command.
(In my own project I have replaced build_ext by my own version...)
AFAIK distutils isn't developed (or even maintained) any more, so you
may have little luck finding answers to your questions on any list.

The simplest way to figure out why distutils behaves the way it does,
and how to work around its limitations, may be by reading the distutils
code.

Good luck,
       Stefan