[C++-sig] Dynamic resolution of members and methods

Jérémie Delaitre jeremie.delaitre at technogerma.fr
Mon Dec 15 13:58:29 CET 2008

Hi,

When defining my new type in C++, I have set the "tp_getattro" field to
point to a function (say "mytype_getattro").
This function determine dynamically if the requested attribute exists or
not, and if it does, return its value.
So, it works well for attributes/properties.

But, "mytype_getattro" is also called when, in Python, I do a function
call 'myobject.myfct(...)'. It allows me to determine
dynamically if the requested function "myfct" is available or not. But
if it does, I need to return a callable object to allow
python to process the call.

I succeeded to make Python to call a function of mine using a
PyMethodDef array and using the Py_FindMethod function
to get a callable PyObject*.
But it is not a good solution for at least two reasons :
1 - Py_FindMethod is not supported in Python 3.0
2 - I need to declare each possible function in the array (which is
impossible has I need to determine them at runtime)

What I have tried to do is to declare only one "dipatch" function in the
array which will call the right C++ function.
This way, in "mytype_getattro" I do a "return Py_FindMethod(myarray,
self, "dispatch")". Thus, python call my
dispatching method. The problem is that I need to attach additionnal
values to the function (like the name of the function
which must be called in reality). In Lua, I used the closure mechanism,
but I did not success with Python closures.

Any hints ?
Is closure the right approach (If so, how I should use it ?)? Do I need
to set another field when defining my type ?

Regards,

Jérémie Delaitre