[C++-sig] Building Boost::Stackless_Python - undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_FromEncodedObject

Simon Pickles sipickles at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 12:18:53 CEST 2008

Hi,

Sorry for the cross post - I am lost over whether my problem resides
with my Boost or Stackless Python build.

I am attempting to extend Stackless Python on Ubuntu 8.04.

I have built the examples in boost_1_35_0/libs/python/example/quickstart
with bjam. This passes the tests if I run it with the default Ubuntu
python installation (/usr/lib/python25). However it fails if I run it
with the stackless python installation (/usr/local/lib/python25).

I get the error:

Trying:
    from extending import *
Expecting nothing
File "/home/simon/Dev/testSpace/boostPython/test_extending.py", line 6,
in test_extending
Failed example:
    from extending import *
Exception raised:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/doctest.py", line 1228, in __run
        compileflags, 1) in test.globs
      File "", line 1, in
        from extending import *
    ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libboost_python-gcc42-d-1_35.so.1.35.0:
undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_FromEncodedObject

I built libboost_python-gcc42-d-1_35.so.1.35.0 by pointing bjam at my
stackless python installation:

sudo bjam -sPYTHON_ROOT=/usr/local/lib/python25 -sPYTHON_VERSION=2.5 stage

It is obviously some sort of Unicode error. I know ubuntu comes with
unicode support, so is it a problem with my stackless build? How do I
enable unicode when building stackless or test for its support?

Thanks

Si

--
Linux Counter: User# 424693