[C++-sig] Am I crazy or is it my computer?

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 23:41:09 CET 2007

I don't know too much about threading, but I think

- you still need Niall Douglas' patches
if your threads want
  to call back into Python
- it is fair to say that the real problem is "Python & threading",

  mainly because of the dreaded global interpreter lock (GIL)

Recently there has been some discussion on python-dev about getting

rid of the GIL, but I'm not holding my breath...

IIUC, if your threads never call back into Python you don't have to

deal with the GIL.
If you have to deal with the GIL I'm not surprised to see you
frustrated. This is something that was largely ignored in the
Boost.Python development (there is only so much you can hope to
achieve in a given amount of time...).

In my work I've consciously avoided threading. Under this simplification
I find Boost.Python well documented and intuitive :-)

Ralf