[C++-sig] Indexing Suite V2

Roman Yakovenko roman.yakovenko at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:39:57 CET 2007

Good evening.

Boost.Python library, out of the box, provides support for std::map and
std::vector containers.  3 years ago Raoul Gough created new indexing suite,
which supports almost all C++ containers. Few month ago I started to use it
and found few bugs and missing functionality. The found bugs were fixed and
functionality was added. Last year there were 2 discussion on this subject:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2006-June/010830.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2006-June/010835.html

>From my experience the indexes suites can peacefully coexist within a
project. You can use only one of them, but still it is possible to compile
both of them. The new indexing suite was built and tested on Windows( MSVC
7.1 ), Linux( gcc 4.1 ) and MAC. It was reported that it works on other gcc
versions too.

New indexing suite allowed me to create new and pretty useful call policy -
return_range(
http://language-binding.net/pyplusplus/documentation/functions/call_policies.html#return-range)
I will be glad to contribute it to the library.

Now the question: is it possible to add new indexing suite to the library?
This step will simplify the installation process.

Thanks.

--
Roman Yakovenko
C++ Python language binding