[C++-sig] confusion about how to use Boost

Nat Goodspeed ngoodspeed at solidworks.com
Tue Jan 2 15:07:25 CET 2007

On
> Behalf Of Roman Yakovenko
> Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:27 AM
> To: Development of Python/C++ integration
> Subject: Re: [C++-sig] (no subject)
>
> On 1/2/07, Erik <erik.terwiel at planet.nl> wrote:
> > 1: I DL-ed boost_1_33_1.exe (I use WinXP) and unpacked to D:\boost
> > 2: I started my MS Visual C++ 2005 and told the Studio that my
> > python2.4 includes and libs are at c:\python24\include and
> > c:\python24\libs
> > 3: I found the project in D:\boost\libs\python\build\VisualStudio
and
> > Studio converted that to the 8.0 version of my VC.
>
> Mistake. The only way to build Boost.Python is to use bjam. The other
way
> is to
> get binaries from http://www.boost-consulting.com/download.html

[Nat] ? We have a shipping product that incorporates Boost.Python. On
Windows we include the Boost.Python project in our solution. On the Mac
we include a Boost.Python target in our Xcode project.

When we first downloaded Boost (many Boost releases ago) we initially
tried to use bjam. We got lots of errors and were nonplussed by the
requirement to learn an obscure new language to try to resolve them. We
were relieved to discover that building desired Boost libraries in your
IDE is a recommended approach, and we've never looked back.

Has something changed since then?