[C++-sig] boost python build/linking/distribution questions

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 10 02:01:43 CET 2007

Tony Kirke wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anyone automated the process after building a python package using
> boost/bjam so that either .rpm or .deb distribution packages can be
> created? (I know there is documentation available but I'm looking for
> some shortcuts/examples).
> One issue is the libboost_python.so file. Does it need to be packaged or
> declared as a dependency. Can this issue be avoided by building with
> <runtime-link>static?

I'm not exactly sure what your question is about.
When building an rpm package, you typically start by writing an rpm spec
file, containing (among many other bits) explicit dependencies ('Requires:').
Using this you can mention any boost rpm package you depend on.

However, rpmbuild itself will figure out what runtime dependencies your
compiled application / library has (such as DSOs), so any boost.python
dependency should be resolved automatically.

None of this involves the build system of boost (or boost.python) itself.

HTH,
		Stefan