[C++-sig] Complete confustion about using Boost.Python

David Huebel davidhuebel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 15:26:46 CEST 2006

On 9/14/06, Noah Schwartz <noah.schwartz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Failed to find the project root for directory '.'.
> Did not find a project-root.jam file there or in any of its parent
> directories.
> Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.

The Boost directory that should be referenced by BOOST_ROOT is the
directory where Boost was extracted and built before installing.  The
files you need to develop Boost.Python extensions are not installed in
/usr/local/include.

On my machine, the BOOST_ROOT directory contains the following files:
configure, Jamfile, Jamfile.v2, and several others, and the following
directories:  boost, bin, doc, libs, tools, and several others.

This confused me when starting out with Boost.Python, because I
expected that everything I needed had been installed somewhere outside
this directory.  Actually, you will need to keep this directory around
indefinitely to keep developing Boost.Python extensions (unless I have
missed something.)

David Huebel