[C++-sig] Type conversion problem -- simplified

Randall Hopper viznut at charter.net
Sat Nov 4 16:21:27 CET 2006

Roman Yakovenko:
 |Randall Hopper;
 |>      What do I need to do to tell boost::python to dereference a wrapped
 |> C++ pointer before trying to invoke the C++ class instance's methods?
 |
 |I don't think anyone is able to follow you.

Thanks for the candid reply.  I thought I had a simple question, but I'll
see what I can do about thining this down to a simple example.

The problem is I'm trying to fix someone else's wrappers, and after hours
reading the boost docs and playing with this problem, I don't understand
the fundamentals of boost enough to "get under the hood" (dump the compiler
output, and trace metaprogramming templates).

Despite the selling point, boost "does" require it's own metalanguage, and
it's as confusing as hell to the newbie that needs to leave the yellow
brick road of:

   .def( "f", &f, "Hi mom" )

I really do want to become skilled at boost, so I'd greatly appreciate it
if you'd point me at 5-10 URLs to read in order (in case I haven't already
read them).  As far as experience level, I'm an accomplished C++ programmer
(15+ years), but I don't usually use templates to solve problems because in
C++ they often obfuscate more than they simplify.  I'm willing to delve in
though.

 |In my opinion, you'd better create one message with clear description of
 |the problem + small test case that reproduces the problem. Take into
 |account, that most of the people here do not know what is osg.

Sorry, it's not that relevent but "osg" is the namespace prefix used by
OpenSceneGraph (www.openscenegraph.org).  The boost::python wrappers for
OpenSceneGraph I'm working on are here:

  http://mosca.caltech.edu/pyosg_downloads/pyosg_ads_15.tar.gz

Thanks,