[C++-sig] import problems with Boost.Python on Cygwin

Rafael M. Frongillo rmf25 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 7 17:07:17 CET 2006

Hi,

I have been trying for some time now to install Boost.Python for Cygwin
1.5.19 and Python 2.4.1.  I followed the instructions given on
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html and
http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html .  As no bjam executable was
posted on sourceforge for Cygwin (that I could see), I built it from source
successfully.  I then jammed Boost, and then Boost.Python.  After a
seemingly successful compilation, I tried making the example hello.cpp in
the libs\python\example\tutorial directory.  The hello.dll was jammed
successfully, but when I ran python in a directory containing both
boost_python.dll and hello.dll, I got an error:

bash-3.00$ python
Python 2.4.1 (#1, May 27 2005, 18:02:40)
[GCC 3.3.3 (cygwin special)] on cygwin
 >>> import hello
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No such file or directory

After trying various other things, I also got python to crash after the
import statement.  I reluctantly tried SWIG instead when I got these
errors, but I had similar problems (with SWIG, the examples worked, but the
application I was trying to expose to python crashed python upon
import).  I would much prefer to use Boost.Python, however.

Does anyone know what could be going on here?  I'd be interested to hear of
similar experiences on Cygwin.  Thanks very much,

Rafael