[C++-sig] Protected destructor compile error

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Thu Jun 22 14:27:33 CEST 2006

"Allen Bierbaum" <abierbaum at gmail.com> writes:

> It looks like there is a problem with the "const Viewport& port"
> argument being passed.  For some reason the generated code seems to
> want to be able to destroy instances of the Viewport class.  This
> class has protected constructor and destructor as it is reference
> counted and the user can only create them using a helper function
> (Camera::create()).
>
> Can anyone describe what is happening here

Boost.Python assumes that a const reference argument means that the
function can accept "rvalues", e.g. objects implicitly converted from
other python types.  The generated converter thus has storage for a
temporary Viewport object which potentially needs to be destroyed
after the wrapped function is called.

> and what prerequisites
> exist for this call to work?  Is there some call policy that I should
> be using to make this work?

Nope, but a thin wrapper that exposes Viewport& instead of Viewport
const& will help you.

www.boost-consulting.com