[C++-sig] class registration - bug or feature?

Roman Yakovenko roman.yakovenko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 19:31:01 CEST 2006

On 7/7/06, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> Oh, I suppose that you can, but I don't know why you'd want to.  Why
> not just apply ".def" to the same object?

It is very simple. There are few really big projects ( TnFOX,
Python-OGRE, PyOpenSG )
that uses pyplusplus. Almost all of them have small problem:
dependency order and boost::python::arg default value.

I failed to create a patch for Boost.Python that fixes the situation
( http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2006-July/010904.html ),
also I was pretty
close to provide solution.

Boost.Python already provides the mechanism, that resolves the problem
- def_visitor, but the changes I have to make to code generator are
too big.
I can not commit my self to this task :-(. So, I just searched for work around.
This one seems to be the perfect one, and I need only few hours to implement it.

--
Roman Yakovenko
C++ Python language binding