[C++-sig] Pyplusplus templates and roadmap

Allen Bierbaum abierbaum at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:20:50 CET 2006

On 1/15/06, Roman Yakovenko <roman.yakovenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/15/06, Allen Bierbaum <abierbaum at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I took a look at this library, but unfortunately I can't really make
> > heads or tails of it because I can't find any documentation about the
> > basics.  I just don't understand enough about the model used by
> > pyplusplus to be able to understand the python code used to generate
> > the wrappings.
> >
> > The one thing I think I really need (and I think is needed in general
> > before many others will port over from Pyste) is a coupld of simple
> > tutorial examples.  I applaud you for including detailed examples of
> > using pyplusplus to wrap existing libraries, but this doesn't really
> > explain how to use it.
>
> I will write some small example\tutorial and will post it in few days.

That would be a great help.  I am woudl like to get going on the
conversion towards the end of this week, so if you have even the
beginnings of a tutorial ready that would be a great help.

I am definitely willing to give you feedback on the tutorial if you like.

> > What I would like to see is a simple tutorial similar to the pyste
> > documentation in Boost.Python.  Just step by step instructions for how
> > to wrap a simple class or two and an explaination of why each step
> > matters and how it works.  This would do more for me then providing
> > wrappers for any number of libraries.
>
> Meanwhile you can take a look at 2 examples: EasyBMP and custom_code_creator.
> Both those examples are very simple.

I took a look at both of them and I agree they are simple.  That said,
I just can't seem to figure out where to start with them.  I mean I
see the code and I know it is overriding methods and calling things
but I don't know why or how it is working.  This is why I think a
simple tutorial would help out because it would let me see the forest
through the trees so to speak.

> > I should say that after seeing the lack of documentation I did take a
> > stab at the classic "look at the source" method of figuring things out
> > but there are so few coments in the code that this didn't work out
> > well.  I would highly suggest that in addition to a tutorial you
> > provide a short design document as an introduction for developers and
> > then document the actual code.  My hope is that this will allow others
> > to extend, maintain, and build upon the current code base.

> > I have hit the limits of Pyste.  I have to create quite of bit of
> > custom code and manual edits for most projects I wrap and that just
> > doesn't scal well.  I have 4-5 projects I would like to move over to
> > use pyplusplus as soon as possible.  The largest of these projects
> > makes use of about 11,000 lines of Boost.Python wrapper code generated
> > from a combination of Pyste and custom scripts.
>
> That is exactly the projects I target pyplusplus

I was hoping you would say that. :)

> > The only thing that is keeping me from trying to port right now is the
> > lack of a tutorial that explains how to wrap a library.
> >
> > Please keep up the good work.  I think your solution looks like it is
> > very powerful, I just wish I could figure it out. :)
>
> You will, stay tuned :-)

Thanks,
Allen