[C++-sig] detecting if a function is written in python or C++

Mathieu Lacage Mathieu.Lacage at sophia.inria.fr
Thu Jan 12 09:46:54 CET 2006

hi,

I would like to be able to detect if the function/method I am calling
from python is implemented as python or as c++ code in a boost python
wrapper. Is this possible in a simple way ? The "inspect" python module
does not seem to contain any reference to this sort of information.

A use case for this would be the following python code where the Event
class is a c++ wrapper which calls back into the python "notify" method
and whenre CppEvent is a c++ wrapper which calls back into a c++ method.

class __MyEvent__(Event):
    def set_callback (self, function, *args):
        self.__function_ = function;
        self.__args_ = args;
    def notify (self):
        self.__function_ (*self.__args_);

def make_event(function, *args):
    #if function is python code, do this:
        ev = __MyEvent__ ();
        ev.set_callback (function, *args);
    # otherwise, do something smarter to make the c++
    # Event::notify method call directly in the c++ function
    # rather than go through the __MyEvent__.notify method
    # and then back to the c++ function.
        ev = CppEvent ();
        ev.set_callback (function, *args);
    return ev