[C++-sig] Using python doc tools on boost-generated functions

Martin Reddy reddy at pixar.com
Wed Jan 4 00:14:27 CET 2006

Hey there,

We are using boost.python to create Python bindings to C++ code. We'd like to
produce automatic Python API docs using a tool like epydoc or pydoc. However,
we've been running into a number of problems, such as epydoc not picking up
any free functions that are generated by boost.python.

Checking the C++-sig archives, I found a message from Sep 2004 saying that
boost.python functions are not generated with the same set of attributes on
them as built-in python functions, and the doc tools like epydoc rely on
those attributes.

   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2004-September/008137.html

It looks like this is still an issue today. I'm just wondering if anyone has
come up with any workarounds for using tools like epydoc or pydoc with
boost.python functions, or what would be involved to fix this in
boost.python?

Cheers,

Martin.