[C++-sig] can't build boost.python under msys/windows

Jorge Vargas jorge.vargas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 03:59:00 CEST 2006

On 8/10/06, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> "Jorge Vargas" <jorge.vargas at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Could someone stop what I'm doing wrong?
> >
> > $ echo $PATH
> >
> .:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/c/Program
> > Files/Subversion/bin:/c/Python24:/c/Python24/Scripts
> >
> > $ bjam "-sTOOLS=mgw" stage
>
> What gave you an idea that would work?  Does our documentation mention
> "mgw" somewhere?

I got that from http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html#Tools but now
that you mention it I went over a read it and I notice I got past into the
naming convention section without noticing it.

> $ bjam "-sTOOLS=mingw" stage
> >
> > both commands fail doing a lot of lookups for vc-7_1 and the .Net
> framework
> > (I have those install)
>
> You are doing this from the msys shell, right?  That's not supported.

oh i see since I didn't saw any reference to the shell prompt (c:\ or $) I
assume "any shell will do". maybe a warning note should be added because
there is no reference to this either on boost.build or boost-python docs.
and the error is very cryptic, if you haven't point it out I will probably
never had fix it.

Use the good-old Windows command shell, "CMD," and you should be all
> set.

I'll test that tonight, thanks.