[C++-sig] boost.python newbie hassles

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Fri Aug 11 01:07:42 CEST 2006

François Duranleau <duranlef at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Willi Richert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As I am exploring whether I can let my students use it in our robotics group I
>> like it more and more. However, there are some little problems for newbies:
>>
>> 1. the web doc is out of date.
>> http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/jwicks/boost/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/python/hello.html
>> e.g. is very different from the doc in the tar.bz2 on sourceforge. A simple
>> copy of the tar version to the web would be enough I think and save lots of
>> trials.
>
> Maybe you should try the official web page from boost.org:
> http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/python/hello.html

What he said

>> 2. boost.python projects have to be located in the boost directory tree, other
>> than printed at the tutorial docs - as far as I have tried. If I move the
>> tutorial greet example to another directory and update path-global in
>> Jamrules I always get:
>>
>> wr@[ikarus]:~/workspace/Boost.Python/src> bjam
>> Failed to find the project root for directory '.'.
>> Did not find a project-root.jam file there or in any of its parent
>> directories.
>> Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.

see the libs/python/example/ subdirectory of your boost distribution
for an example that should be transplantable.  I'm not sure why it's
looking for project-root.jam.  It's almost as though you edited your
boost-build.jam to reference the tools/build/v2 subdirectory instead
of tools/build/v1.  That won't work for you :)

>> I'm using ubuntur 6.06. There I have installed
>> boost-build
>> libboost-python1.33.1
>> libboost-python-dev
>> bjam

Can't vouch for any of those packages.  I suggest contacting the
package maintainers, or downloading a boost distro from sourceforge
and starting from there.

>> In order to get the tutorial compiled I have to use the sf.net downloaded
>> version. The above mentioned packages do not suffice. Shouldn't they?

Well they should, maybe, depending on the intentions of the packager.
Really that's out of our hands, since we didn't make them.

www.boost-consulting.com